2,2′-Bis(diphenylphosphino)-1,1′-binaphthyl and its rhodium and ruthenium derivatives are highly selective homogeneous catalysts used for the reduction of aryl ketones, β-keto esters, and α-amino ketones. They have also been used for asymmetric hydrogenation and hydroformylation of olefins, asymmetric Heck reactions, and asymmetric isomerizations of allyls.
Ligand used in a palladium-catalyzed, asymmetric, tandem Heck reaction-carbanion capture process leading to a synthesis of a tricyclic sesquiterpene. Also used in a ruthenium-catalyzed asymmetric hydrogenation of α,β-unsaturated acids.
Reactant involved in:
- Enantioselective and diastereoselective unpoled carbonyl allylation
- Syntehsis of organophophine oxides as anittumor agents
- SN2 halogenation of hydroxy groups
- Synthesis of BINAP complexes
- Studies of conformational flexibility of BINAP chelates