Cell migration occurs in a variety of biological processes including wound healing, embryonic development, and immune response. Because of the importance of cell migration in angiogenesis, oncology, neurology, and especially immunology, there is an increased interest in understanding the underlying biological mechanisms at a single cell level.
Traditional multiwell (Boyden chamber) migration assays can have limitations, such as: (1) gradients are not linear, well-established, or controlled, (2) quantification of migratory cells is based on an endpoint measurement rather than a dynamic determination, and (3) imaging of the cells while they are migrating is currently not possible.
The Millicell µ-Migration Assay Kit overcomes these limitations.
Its microfluidic, low-volume technology promotes a stable, diffusion-generated concentration gradient that is consistently linear and lasts for more than 48 hours. Designed for video microscopy assays, the µ-Migration Slide is made from a plastic with high optical qualities similar to those of glass. At specific time intervals, images of the observation area can be acquired, allowing real-time monitoring and quantitative measurements of cell migration.
- Live cell tracking of single cell or cell population migration
- Establishes a stable and linear concentration gradient that lasts ≥ 48 hours
- Helps distinguish chemotaxis from random movement
- Allows for multiparametric analysis, including cell directionality and velocity
- Enhanced optical imaging of slow- and fast-migrating cells
- Analyze 3 chemoattractants in parallel for increased throughput and flexibility
- No need to spend time or money on optimization
- Ready to use, no assembly needed
How the Kit Works
For detailed videos and instructions on the use of the µ-migration kit, please visit: Millicell µ-Migration Assay Kit
For instructions on how to access and use the free Image-J plug-in software to analyze the data and images collected using the µ-Migration Assay Kit, please visit: Millicell µ-Migration Assay Kit.
1. Millicell® µ-Migration Slides: (Part No. CS204500) Four uncoated sterilized slides. Each slide contains 3 chambers.
2. Millicell µ-Migration Caps and Plugs: (Part No. CS204501) Forty-eight of each. Twelve caps and twelve plugs for each slide.
3. Human Collagen IV: (Part No. CS204498) One 100 µg vial of 1 mg/mL Human Collagen IV.
4. Acetic Acid Buffer: (Part No. CS204485) One vial containing 1.5 mL of 0.5 M acetic acid.
5. BSA Solution: (Part No. CS204507) One vial containing 100 µL of 30% BSA solution.
6. Beveled pipette tips: Fisherbrand SureOne 200 µL tips, Fisher Cat. No. 02-707-419. Two 96-tip boxes.
Storage and Stability
1. Millicell® µ-Migration Slides (Part No. CS204500). Store at room temperature.
2. Millicell µ-Migration Caps and Plugs (Part No. CS204501) Store at room temperature.
3. Human Collagen IV (Part No. CS204498) Store at -20ºC.
4. Acetic Acid Buffer (Part No. CS204485) Store at room temperature.
5. BSA Solution (Part No. CS204507) Store at -20ºC.
6. Beveled Pipette Tips. Store at room temperature.
Accutase is a registered trademark of Innovative Cell Technologies, Inc.
Millicell is a registered trademark of Merck KGaA, Darmstadt, Germany
Unless otherwise stated in our catalog or other company documentation accompanying the product(s), our products are intended for research use only and are not to be used for any other purpose, which includes but is not limited to, unauthorized commercial uses, in vitro diagnostic uses, ex vivo or in vivo therapeutic uses or any type of consumption or application to humans or animals.