This protocol explains the standard cleaning procedures, as well as intensive cleaning of the BRAND® Titrette® Bottletop Burette step by step. By following these instructions, the correct functioning of the BRAND® Titrette® Bottletop Burette - the first bottle-top burette to satisfy Class A error limits for glass burettes - can be assured. Always read the manual for the operation and handling of the BRAND® Titrette® Bottletop Burette, especially the safety instructions. Standard cleaning should be done regularly as residues etc. might be present. When crystalizing media are used, the upper portion of the Titrette® must always be removed, even if crystals have not formed yet. Standard cleaning must also be done before further disassembling for intensive cleaning.
Titrette® Standard Cleaning
- Emptying (bottle filled with titrant)
- Set the valve to “Recirculate” and empty the instrument completely, using the handwheels to position the piston in the fully down position.
- Rinsing (bottle with deionized water)
- Attach the Titrette® onto a bottle with deionized water
- Then fill and empty the instrument several times.
- To rinse the titrating tube, set the valve to “Titrate®”.
- Fill the instrument completely several times, emptying it each time into a suitable receptacle.
- Any carbon or crystals should be swabbed out with diluted acidic acid. Crystals from aqueous solutions can be swabbed out with water.
- Emptying (empty bottle)
- Attach the Titrette® onto an empty bottle and empty the instrument completely by moving the piston up and down several times at BOTH valve settings.
- Screw the titrating tube cap back on, move the piston all the way up and then downward by a half rotation of the handwheel.
- Unscrew the air vent cap and open the housing.
- Remove the mounting tool from the rear housing and use it to loosen the safety ring on the dispensing cartridge – unscrew it completely by hand.
- Slide out the piston rod locking mechanism to the stop.
- Turn the handwheels to raise the top-part of the instrument and remove it.
- Remove any crystal deposits on the dispensing cylinder with water or dilute acidic acid and a soft bottle brush or a bent pipe cleaner, then dry off, using a laboratory wipe.
- After the described standard cleaning process, the top-part of the instrument can be re-installed. Now the Titrette® is ready for an intensive cleaning.
Titrette® Intensive Cleaning
Always carry out a standard cleaning first!
- Pull out the filling tube and the recirculation tube.
- Set the valve to “Recirculate” and pull the valve lever upward.
- Now the titrating tube can be removed by carefully pulling the tub away from the main part of the instrument.
- Then pull the piston rod and attached piston out of the dispensing cylinder.
- Slide the light-gray safety ring of the piston rod downwards. Unscrew the piston.
- Screw the clean piston onto the piston rod and tighten it securely. The teeth of the piston and the piston rod must be aligned. If necessary, the piston can be moved back by a maximum of one tooth.
- Slide the safety ring upward again.
- Line up the piston rod – the tooth wrap on the piston rod must be arranged in the direction of the air vent opening of the valve lock.
- Insert the piston vertically into the cylinder and press it halfway in.
- Unscrew the filling valve with the mounting tool and remove the ceiling ring with a pair of curved forceps.
- Reinsert the clean seal, then screw in the filling valve by hand and secure it by a quarter-turn with the mounting tool.
- Slide the clean titrating tube back in by pushing it gently into place.
- Insert the valve lever into its opening and press down firmly.
- Attach the top-part of the instrument and turn it downward, using the handwheel.
- Lift the safety ring and check that the nut and bolt match securely.
- Screw the safety ring in tightly by hand and secure it by turning from the right- to the left-hand edge of the housing, using the mounting tool.
- Press the piston rod locking mechanism in and up to the stop.
- Connect the rear housing at the top, snap it close and screw in the air vent cap.
- Insert the filling tube and the recirculation tube.
- Reattach the Titrette® to the bottle.
- After a function check and – possibly - a calibration, the Titrette is ready to use.
Watch the Video