Chloride is found in the earth´s crust and can therefore also be found in all natural waters at some concentration. This MQuant®
Chloride test (formally MColortest®
) is suitable for the titrimetric determination using a convenient dropping bottle. Method
In nitric solution chloride ions are titrated with mercury(II) nitrate solution against 1,5-diphenylcarbazone as the indicator, forming slightly dissociated mercury(II) chloride in the process. At the titration end-point, excess mercury(II) ions react with the indicator to form a blue-violet complex. The chloride concentration is determined from the consumption of titration solution (mercurimetric determination).
The test can be used in
- Groundwater, surface water, and seawater (after dilution)
- Waters from aquaculture
- Drinking water and mineral water
- Water for concrete in the construction industry
- Industrial water and wastewater
- Boiler and boiler feed water, cooling water
- Swimming-pool water
- Food after appropriate sample pretreatment
- Soils and fertilizers after appropriate sample pretreatment
This test is suitable to detect chloride interferences which are a mayjor reason for wron COD readings. Therefore it can serve as pretest for COD measurements with e.g. our Spectroquant®
COD cell tests for seawater/samples with high chloride content 1.17058 and 1.17059.