Iodine exhibits exceptionally high dielectric polarization in various solvents (dioxane, isobutylene, p-xylene and benzene).
Catalyst for synthesis of esters by condensation of carboxylic acids with alcohols or transfesterification.
A mild and efficient method for esterification and transesterification catalyzed by iodine
Iodine has been used for the easy visualization of 9-bromononanoic acid, allyl ester by thin layer chromatography (TLC). It has also been used for the preparation of oxidation solution, required for the synthesis of oligodeoxynucleotides bearing 3′-terminal phosphorothioate.
Iodine may be used to catalyze:
- Synthesis of 5-(4-nitrophenyl)-10,15,20-triphenylporphyrin.
- Oxidative C-H bond amination of saturated hydrocarbons.
- Protection of amines with benzyloxycarbonyl (Cbz) group.
- Direct oxidative coupling/annulation of β-keto esters or 2-pyridinyl-β-esters with alkenes to form dihydrofurans and indolizine, respectively.
- Thiocyanation of aromatic systems to form aryl thiocyanates.
- Esterification of cellulose with acetic anhydride to form cellulose triacetate.
5, 100, 4×100, 500 g in glass bottle
1, 2.5 kg in glass bottle
12 kg in steel drum