Preparation of Solutions from Packaged Powder
Powdered vitamin mixtures are hygroscopic and must be protected from atmospheric moisture. The entire contents of each package should be used immediately after opening. The basic steps for preparing 1000X concentrated solutions with our vitamin mixtures are listed below:
- Measure out 70% of the final required volume of deionized-distilled water (e.g. 70 mL for a final volume of 100 mL).
- While stirring the water add the powdered vitamin mixture. Stir until completely dissolved. Increasing the pH and/or warming solution (35-37 °C) may be required.
- Rinse the original container with a small volume of water to remove traces of the powder. Add to the solution in Step No. 2.
- Add additional water to bring the medium to the final volume.
- The resulting 1000X concentrated solution should be used at a concentration of 1 mL/L of medium.
- Follow the same steps to prepare a 100X concentrated solution and use at 10 mL/L of medium.
Media Preparation Using Vitamin Solutions
Prepared Vitamin Solutions:
- The vitamin solutions are sterile filtered through a double 0.2 µm filtration unit and are ready for use.
- Vitamin solutions should be added at a concentration of 1 mL/L of medium to prepare the final recommended concentration of vitamins in the medium. (Except K3129, Kao and Michayluk vitamin solution, which should be added at a concentration of 10 mL/L of medium.)
Materials Not Provided
VITAMIN POWDERS AND SOLUTIONS ARE FOR LABORATORY USE ONLY. NOT FOR DRUG, HOUSEHOLD OR OTHER USES.
Store powdered vitamin mixtures and solutions in a refrigerator at 0-5 °C (except K3129, Kao and Michayluk vitamin solution, which should be stored at -0 °C). Precipitation in vitamin solutions may occur during storage. This can be redissolved by warming the solution in a water bath (35-37 °C) for a short period of time.
Vitamin Mixtures Composition Table
G1019 – Gamborg's vitamin solution (1000X)
K3129 – Kao and Michayluk vitamin solution (100X)
M7150 – Murashige and Skoog vitamin powder
M3900 – Murashige and Skoog vitamin solution (1000X)
S3766 – Schenk and Hildebrandt vitamin powder