Anhydrous iron(III)chloride has a similar crystal structure like Bismuth(III)iodide, where two chloride ligands are interconnected with octahedral Fe(III) centers. The color of the solid crystalline anhydrous Fe(III)chloride is brown to black. The melting point of Fe(III)Chloride is 306 °C and boils at around 316°C. Iron(III)chloride behaves as a moderately strong Lewis acid and the pH of a 0.37M (6g/L) aqueous solution of iron(III)chloride is 1.8. It is sparingly soluble in water. Anhydrous Iron(III)chloride is prepared by passing chlorine gas through metallic Iron 2Fe(s)+3Cl2(g)--->2FeCl3.
FeCl3-intercalated graphite compounds has a great potential to use as an anode in the Lithium-ion battery due to its reaction reversibility, low volume change and high volumetric energy density. Iron trichloride is commonly used to fabricate membrane-based iron-chloride redox flow rechargeable battery. In recent development, it is found that Iron(III)chloride is also used to fabricate biomass-derived hierarchical porous nitrogen-doped carbons for electrochemical supercapacitors . Iron(III)Chloride in acid has been widely used to recover the copper and antimony from electronic waste by hydrometallurgical and electrochemical techniques.
The vapor-phase co-reductions with other metal halides by hydrogen results in finely divided intermetallics with applications as structural materials or compounds with useful thermoelectric, magnetic, and oxidation-resitance properties.
Redi Dri™ is an innovative packaging system that prevents absorption of environmental moisture by anhydrous & hydroscopic salts during transport and chemical storage without addition of anti-caking agents, preserving the compounds′ quality assured, free-flowing nature. Redi-Dri™ also provides a conveniently resealable storage container as a simpler and safer-to-use alternative to one-time-use packaging such as ampules.
While the Redi-Dri™ packaging system does offer desiccating properties, opening and closing of the Redi-Dri™ bottle is still intended to occur under controlled atmosphere to maintain the highest quality of your MilliporeSigma product.
Features and Benefits
- It is a free-flowing powder without anti-caking agents which increases the shelf-life
- The moisture absorption rate is slow.
- It is soluble faster as compared to clumped materials
- No need to chip, chisel, or grind clumped salts
- Increases the efficiency of the lab due to eliminating the time to loosen hardened powders.
- While the Redi-Dri™ packaging system does offer desiccating properties, opening and closing of the Redi-Dri™ bottle is still intended to occur under controlled atmosphere to maintain the highest quality of your MilliporeSigma product.
Redi-Dri is a trademark of Sigma-Aldrich Co. LLC