EMAIL THIS PAGE TO A FRIEND

The National medical journal of India

Methyl ethyl ketone peroxide ingestion: a rare cause of corrosive chemical poisoning.


PMID 20949717

Abstract

Methyl ethyl ketone peroxide, commonly used in the lamination industry, is a highly inflammable substance. Ingestion of methyl ethyl ketone peroxide is associated with a high morbidity and mortality. It can cause injury to the gastrointestinal tract on ingestion, leading to gangrene or perforation. Gastric lavage is contraindicated as it is a highly corrosive substance. We report a patient with poisoning due to methyl ethyl ketone peroxide who presented with upper gastrointestinal bleeding, and developed gangrene of the bowel and died of septicaemia and multiorgan failure.