EMAIL THIS PAGE TO A FRIEND

Journal of the College of Physicians and Surgeons--Pakistan : JCPSP

Severe haemolytic anaemia due to ingestion of naphthalene (mothball) containing coconut oil.


PMID 23146862

Abstract

Naphthalene, a widely used industrial and household chemical, has rarely been an agent of poisoning worldwide. Severe haemolysis from naphthalene poisoning is rare and can be a challenge to clinicians. We report a 22-year-old female, who accidentally ingested naphthalene mixed coconut oil and got admitted with recurrent vomiting, headache and passage of dark urine. Severe intravascular haemolysis with hypotension and neutrophilic leukocytosis was detected. She was treated with red blood cell transfusions, intravenous saline infusion and ascorbic acid.