EMAIL THIS PAGE TO A FRIEND

Praxis

[Fatal agranulocytosis after metamizole reexposure].


PMID 25626384

Abstract

We present the case of a 63 year old man who died of severe septic shock in the setting of agranulocytosis induced by dipyrone (metamizole). The patient had previously developed agranulocytosis after dipyrone exposure 18 months prior to this. The case illustrates the seriousness of dipyrone-induced agranulocytosis, highlights the risks associated with re-exposure and underlines the need for excellent communication between treating physicians and their patients. The possible underlying mechanisms, epidemiology and management of dipyrone-induced agranulocytosis are discussed.