EMAIL THIS PAGE TO A FRIEND

Harefuah

[Death from fluoro-silicate in floor polish].


PMID 8188103

Abstract

A fatal case of poisoning due to ingestion of an apparently innocuous household product is described. A healthy 28-year-old man accidentally drank floor polish (Cristalizador, a Spanish import). On arrival at the emergency room a few hours later he passed large amounts of bloody stool and lost consciousness. A call to the Spanish Poison Center revealed that although not indicated on the label, the polish contained a highly poisonous salt, fluoro-silicate. Blood gas analysis revealed severe metabolic acidosis. Serum calcium was 3.8 mg/dL. The post-resuscitation ECG showed subendocardial ischemia and ST-elevation in the anteroseptal wall and prolonged QT-interval. In the intensive care unit he received large amounts of fluids, dopamine, sodium bicarbonate and calcium. Despite the treatment, his condition continued to deteriorate: VPB's appeared, there was a short run of ventricular tachycardia and then atrial fibrillation developed. Further treatment included lidocaine, verapamil, amiodarone, and electrical cardioversion. Blood pressure remained low and 11 hours after admission he died of myocardial infarction, severe arrhythmia and multi-organ failure.

Related Materials